Thursday, April 24, 2014. New Comics were YESTERDAY!

threaded flat

Comic back up

Showing 10 of 41 posts

suyash007 (2 weeks ago) - new!

@cmxlgy_matt - thanks for the first official reply from comixology (assuming you are from comixology)

we know that the comics that we buy can be accessed online from the cloud storage... but we are talking about something entirely different here... these are the issues

despite paying the same amount as the hardcopy, we don't get the privilege of reading it anytime we want (which includes time when we are offline). we just need some functionality to back up / download them for our own and not on cloud, even if it requires paying a dollar extra for it.

if comixology is afraid of piracy, you can have some proprietary app to read encoded files that works only for individually downloaded files mapped to a comixology login id...

Save
cameron.williams (2 weeks ago) - new!

I've got $20 per month ready to spend as soon as Comixology switches to a sale model from a license model.

I don't even get the value of the DRM at all either. If I buy a comic, I only have the ability to use the official Comixology app, and the file is tied to a license. But at the same time, right now, every single digital comic ends up on file sharing sites, where people have unlimited ability to view it on multiple devices and keep it forever.

Clearly, the DRM isn't preventing piracy, so why is it that illegal downloaders have better access to the content than paying customers?

Save
Mr_Saver (1 week ago) - new!

My dad and I used to collect comics together, and we still share TPB's on a few books. Now that I am married with kids, my wife is not enthralled with the idea of 30 longboxes taking up our child's room with Dad's Comics... I really wish there was a way to "loan out" comics to friends/family or make the comics roughly half of cover price so that I didn't feel the bite of buying the comic once for me, and then my dad buying it as well.

This is the main thing keeping me from picking up 5-10 DC comics per month and talking my dad into doing the same. As a result we will probably just continue to trade wait and share that way...

Save
Arachkid (2 years ago) - new!

I didn't realize until I started reading this thread that I can't read Comixology purchases offline. I was thinking of colecting some titles digitaly but not any more.

Save
qetzaq (2 years ago) - new!

Arachkid, you can read offline in the apps on tablets/phones. Just not on PC/Mac/Netbooks. There were people asking for that in the past and they still are, like derekticon here http://www.comixology.com/discussion/550 Don't give up on the concept of digital comics yet, there's always development.

Save
suyash007 (2 years ago) - new!

@ qetzaq - the main purpose of this discussion is about the offline inaccessibility of comics on pc... we all know that they are available offline on tablets, which only makes this even more unfair for pc users... surely we can't buy expensive tablets for reading comics??

Save
seb_pinter (2 years ago) - new!

For me the issue is that if comixology were to go bust tomorrow, I would have nothing to show for all the dollars I have spent

Save
MWorrell (2 years ago) - new!

My thinking on this has changed since I first transitioned to digital at the DC relaunch. I still would prefer to download a file to my PC, as I do for DRM-protected eBook files purchased from Barnes and Noble and elsewhere. But I've realized something about my comic buying/reading patterns.

1) When I had a pull list at the LCS, 99% of the floppies I bought and read, I never touched again except to either bag and board them or box them up for donation. In fact, I almost never pull out a bagged and boarded issue to read it again. I recently re-read "The Killing Joke" after having it sitting in a long box since like, 1988. Did I really need to own that book all that time?!

2) Having my newly purchased comics available 24/7 on my phone, laptop and PC means that I frequently read them 2 or even 3 times if they are good. I noticed this right off the bat with Justice League #1, which I just kept going back to. Not since I was a kid have I felt like I knew an issue like the back of my hand because I took the time to really enjoy it more than once.

So, I'm thinking about the purchase of these comics like buying a hamburger or going to a movie. I enjoy it and then it's gone (or at least, it might someday be gone).

The reality is that the fun of having a physical collection is mostly just looking at the covers and organizing them. So I keep a duplicate of my Comixology purchases in a collection on ComicBookDB.com, and I find that satisfies my collector mentality. If Comixology tanks, I'll still have that database, and if I happen to want to read one of those comics again, it's not that big a deal to track it down.

Save
MWorrell (2 years ago) - new!

(The other thing I've noticed is that Marvel's digital comics cost too darn much for me to make the aforementioned transition in thinking related to them, so I will be borrowing trades from the library on those until they adopt a pricing structure more in line with DC's. $3.99 is just not a good value no matter what.)

Save
cybercoyote (2 years ago) - new!

I agree MWorrell, I read these comics many more times in this format. I had sent a request to comiXology asking if it was against the Terms to record my comics and back them up myself, never got a response. Mind you I did it ONCE and it was a royal pain. As it is I've got my comics on 2 different portable devices and store them on there.. for now. I've managed to acquire a LOT since the DC 52 launch. Still, it would be nice to be able to have a permanent back up on my PC in case anything ever went wrong, even if it was just a file to re DL to my device in case of trouble (the way all my iTunes apps are backed up in iTunes despite only working on the iPod/iPhone.

Save
Showing 10 of 41 posts

Reply to thread

Recent Discussions

• Download error by erin@comixology.com – 1 month ago
  • Fit to width question by subson23 – 1 month ago
  • Appeal to Being Able to Organizing "My Comics" by TheAgeingYoungRebel – 2 months ago
  • Deleting Comics from account entirely by TheAgeingYoungRebel – 2 months ago
  • Does 'Deal Of The Day' work for the app also? by Wardemon32 – 2 months ago
  • Does 'Deal Of The Day' work for the app also? by Wardemon32 – 2 months ago
  • marvel redeem by franco95 – 2 months ago
  • marvel redeem by franco95 – 2 months ago
  • Question about the small print by Scatman1982 – 2 months ago
  • Setting up Subscriptions by Achillees – 3 months ago

About Us  |  FAQ  |  Copyright Notices  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use  |  Ad Specs  |  iPhone  |  Podcast  |  Retailers  |  Contact Us